Fellowship in General Neurosurgery (Sunnybrook Hospital)
Division of Neurosurgery, University of Toronto
SupervisorsLeodante da Costa
Term of Appointment
Funded posts for 1 fellow per year.
The Division of Neurosurgery at Sunnybrook Hospital offers a one-year funded fellowship in general neurosurgery. The Division currently has six staff neurosurgeons with differernt subspecialty interests: trauma and critical care of traumatic brain injury and spine, neuro-oncology, skull base surgery, spine surgery, radiosurgery and cerebrovascular/endovascular surgery.
The successful candidate will be eligible for a clinical educational license in Ontario. Please refer to the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario for further information (www.cpso.on.ca).
- By the end of the Fellowship, the Fellow will be able to perform safely and effectively the majority of procedures for neuro-oncological, cerebrovascular, spinal and traumatic conditions of the CNS and provide pre- and post-operative care for such patients.
- Exposure to specialized areas of neurosurgery is available. Depending on the fellow's interest and availability, comfort can be achieved by the end of the fellowship year in performing a variety of procedures, such as:
- Awake craniotomy
- Acoustic tumors
- Pituitary surgery
- Endovascular procedures
- Spine instrumentation
- Peripheral nerve and brachial plexus surgery
- Traumatic brain injury management
- Carotid endarterectomy
- The Fellow is expected to have at least one (preferably two) manuscripts submitted for publication in peer-reviewed journals by the end of the academic year.
TermsThe Fellow will receive an annual stipend ranging from CDN $51,000 to $72,000 (gross stipend) for the year commencing July 1st-June 30th of the following year. During this time you will be entitled to two weeks of paid holidays every six months and one week of paid conference leave. If attending a conference during the fellowship year to present results of work done during the fellowship, limited financial support is offered to offset the costs of registration, travel and lodging. Any planned holiday/conference time must be communicated to your supervisor well in advance of the date. The fellowship stipend includes your malpractice insurance, but you will be responsible for your own health coverage. Ontario requires the payment of the three initial months of health coverage before subjects become eligible for OHIP (provincially funded health care).
About SunnybrookSunnybrook Hospital is a fully affiliated teaching hospital of the University of Toronto. The Division of Neurosurgery at Sunnybrook performs an average of 1,500 procedures in cerebrovascular, neurooncology, skull base, pituitary, spinal, peripheral nerve, microvascular, trauma and cranial nerves. Sunnybrook is the largest teaching hospital in Canada with 10,000 staff, physicians and volunteers that look after 1 million patients per year. Sunnybrook is also a research-intensive hospital, with more than 600 scientists. Undergraduate and postgraduate students of the University rotate through the service.
Leodante da Costa, MD
Division of Neurosurgery
2075 Bayview Avenue, Room A1-37
Toronto, Ontario M4N 3M5
Tel: (416) 480-6820
Fax: (416) 480-6085
Please submit the following by email to the Fellowship Contact:
- Brief statement of career goals
- Letters of reference (3), including at least one from a current direct supervisor and/or Division Head
- Proposed start date
- Proposed duration of fellowship
- Details of any self-funding for the fellowship
- Specific title and hospital of the fellowship for which you are applying